Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Where's the Manual?

Today I found a few minutes for myself. Well actually I don't think I found minutes rather I created space to do something for me.  I decided I would watch Dr. Phil. I found myself watching his show last Friday (March 20th) and it was his show on Domestic Violence (listen to my radio show today if you're interested in how that show impacted my life http://www.blogtalkradio.com/susanjsohn).

Today's show was all about troubled marriages. He has three young couples living in the 'Dr. Phil House' and they were trying to sort out their troubled marriages. I watched these (very) young couples and I was reminded about a conversation I had today with a friend and other conversations I've had with couples and friends who are all navigating their/our way through life, love and marriage.

Sadly, our marriage licenses don't come attached to a manual for success. For some there are marriage classes taken before the 'big day' however for most it is trial and error and doing what works. How do we keep our marriages together? How do we keep the love alive and how do we make it past that 7 year itch, the 10 year challenge and the 25 year milestone?

According to Dr. Phil there is a formula and it looks something like this:

you+me+commitment from both of us = a successful marriage

I hope you all remain open, let the communication flow and together let's work to build strong, happy, healthy marriages. Our children depend on it.

Susan


No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics