Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Quick Tips to Survive a Troubled Economy

Hello everyone I hope today finds you all REALLY well. It's been a good day for me, rather busy after a weekend with family, however my day thus far has been very productive. I love productivity. 

Following today's show I would like encourage us all to share ideas that will help all of us navigate our way through this economic stretch. As I write this President Obama is, in fact, signing the document to boost the US economy (by the way if you would like to listen to the show ON DEMAND you can simply go to http://www.blogtalkradio.com/susanjsohn) let's hope this injection will take us forward. I heard it said today that this could be the shaping of Obama's leadership. What he may be known for in the chronicles of time.

In light of all this I am asking for our establishing community to contribute to one another. What are you doing, what changes or adjustments (if any) have you made to walk through this time confidently?

I am excited to hear and look forward to sharing your comments on tomorrow's show. I always stand amazed at how there could be one thing that someone says or does that can help another. Let's hope that some of our ideas do exactly that ~ lend a hand in time of need.

What am I doing? I'm shopping smarter, I'm cooking and preparing with consideration and mapping out my week wisely. I'm also simply trying to 'use less'. We consume so much in every area of life so I am trying my best to simply cut down (or cut the fat as it's said) everyday.

I can't wait to hear from you.

Susan

PS - Our conversation on tomorrow's show will surround Nadya Suleman ~ Mother of the new Octuplets. Hope you'll join us and let us hear what you have to think.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really conscious of using what's in the fridge or the cupboard before going out and buying new stuff. I'm also signed up with my Franklins card and get $20 off each shop when I get a certain number of points, plus it's cheaper there anyway.

I'm comparing fruit and veggie markets, I still want organic where possible and good quality but I'm finding the places that do it for less. And as always I love my once a month trip to Aldi to see what's there, I always find something way cheaper. They do a great organic range!

I really need a new handbag but I'm waiting until the mid year sales bc I won't die without one, and I'm thinking about everything before I buy.

In it all though, I'm choosing to do all this cleverly and not stingy. I want to be a generous person and always have a bag of groceries or a gift ready to give away if needed.

Jane K

catherine jayne said...

Well said Jane, "I'm choosing to do all this cleverly and not stingy."

I'm working on packing a lunch during workdays rather then going out.

I'm also trying out the "cheaper brands." I'm loving Costco (in North America) that carries "Kirkland," which is cheaper brand that does its research before putting out a product, so you know it's good quality and a little more inexpensive then your mainstream brands. As well, Superstore (in Canada) has the "No-Name" brand which is considerably more inexpensive as well.

My husband and I also recently decided to put ourselves on a budget for our date nights. Traditionally we generally don't put a price on our time together, but we're realizing how quickly our dates can add up.

Through it all I'm with Jane though in wanting to be a generous person.

~cj

Anonymous said...

I agree with all of you.It's all about getting a little creative isn't it?
I always ask myself-"what would my nanna have done?" She used bicarb and vinegar to clean. She grew her own vegies and she knew the difference between a need and a want!
In short the kinder we are to the environment the more cash in our piggy bank at the end of the month.

Annie

Anonymous said...

Coupons. Use them. Saves lots of cash on the simple things.
Eleanor

Anonymous said...

I say hand me downs. I remember as a child receiving a box of clothes from my 'city cousin'. Oh, the joy.
These days clothes are thrown out or tossed in the 'good will' container which I wholeheartedly agree with. However consider passing them down to a sibling, so they are a year late. Seriously, who cares.

Just a thought from an old girl on the hill.

Joyce

 
Clicky Web Analytics